Friday, November 26, 2010

Tryde Coffee Table

I decided to build a coffee table for my parents as a Christmas gift.  I fell in love with the Tryde table on www.ana-white.com and decided to build it.  The Tryde table is a knock off version of Pottery Barns Hyde table (seen here). 


View of the Tryde coffee table with a Golden Oak stain.

The table is constructed of 2x4s for the top with 2x6 end pieces.  The legs are supposed to be 4x4 posts, however, Brent and I could not locate any that are not treated for outdoor use.  We laminated two 2x4 boards with wood glue and then cut the posts down to 3" by 3" posts.  Close enough and you can't even tell that the legs are laminated!

Another view of the coffee table.

I chose to use 2x4 studs and whiteboard pine for this table because I wanted my wood to have imperfections, knots, and coloration.  After all, the theme of the table is: RUSTIC.  

We made a couple of small changes to the design during construction.  We added some extra support to the underside frame structure so that we could attach the table top boards from the underside.  We did  not want any screws showing from the top.  
Also, I cut the 2x4 top pieces 1" shorter than the plan called for.  Brent and I were concerned that the 1x6 edging extended a bit far and therefore could possibly be fractured if someone sat on the table.  By decreasing the center boards by an inch, we were able to position the 1x6 end pieces 1/2" further in, thereby allowing more connection of the board to the structure beneath.  A half inch on either side is not a lot of distance, but it does make a difference.  

I love this table so much, I am considering building myself one.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment